In 1955 Public Works was established as a separate department, responsible for the construction of public buildings and the maintenance of government property and equipment. In 1980 Public Works assumed responsibility for government communications and information and was renamed Government Services. In 1992 the minister assumed formal responsibility for the Communications and Information Act and the department was renamed Supply and Services. The department was responsible for purchasing, tendering and supply services; publishing, communication services and Queen's Printer; environmental engineering, project management, design services and construction services; information technology policy and standards, network services, information technology services and records management; accommodation services, facilities management and insurance and risk management. In 1996 the department was broken up and its responsiblities distributed among the new Department of Transportation and Public Works, Communications Nova Scotia and the Technology and Science Secretariat.