The Department of Industry was established in 1939 to promote industrial development. In 1941 it was renamed Industry and Publicity, and its mandate expanded to include government public relations and tourism. In 1948 it was renamed Trade and Industry. The department was renamed Development in 1971, when responsibility for information and publicity was assigned to the new Department of Tourism. In 1987 Development was divided into two new departments: Industry, Trade and Technology and Small Business Development. In 1992 the former Department of Development was reunified and renamed Economic Development. In 1994 the department resumed responsibility for tourism and was renamed the Nova Scotia Economic Renewal Agency. In 1997 the department was renamed Economic Development and Tourism. In 1999 the department shed responsibility for tourism and was again renamed Economic Development. In 2001 the department shed responsibility for business development. In 2002 the department took over the technology and innovation responsibilities of the defunct Technology and Science Secretariat and was renamed Office of Economic Development. The office's main function is planning for economic growth. It serves as a central agency for economic policy development and planning.