Fonds - Nova Scotia Post Office fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia Post Office fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1769-1897, predominant 1769-1878 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nova Scotia. Post Office

Physical description area

Physical description

6 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1754-)

Administrative history

The first post office in Canada was established in Halifax in 1754. By 1783, seven more post offices had been established in the colony: Sydney, Annapolis, Digby, Shelburne, New Edinburgh, Windsor, and Wolfville. Until the outbreak of the War of 1812, the main internal mail route in the colony was between Halifax and Annapolis Royal, from where the mail from New Brunswick and the Canadas was sent forward. In the early 1800s, as was the case in the other colonies, the Nova Scotia Post Office was under the jurisdiction of the Imperial Postmaster General. The friction that developed in the Canadas between the legislatures and the Imperial Postal Service was not present in Nova Scotia, primarily because the legislature had appointed a committee to work with the deputy postmaster general. By 1817, there were established mail routes through the western counties to Yarmouth and Shelburne, from Halifax to the New Brunswick border, and from Truro to Pictou and Antigonish. Nova Scotia took a leading role in the negotiations that lead to the assumption of colonial responsibility for postal service in 1851. After Confederation, in 1867, postal services became a responsibility of the federal government.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of 4 Series: Postmaster General's correspondence (1825-1862); Financial records (1769-1868); Returns and other material (1846-1897, predom. 1846-1870); and Tenders (1851-1859).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Halifax Post Office inspector's records located at the National Archives of Canada, Ottawa, Ont.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

For additional information on postal service in Nova Scotia, see Fergusson, C. Bruce. "The HalifaxPost Office." Dalhousie Review. 38.1 (Spring 1958): 39-46 and Smith, William. "The Early PostOffice in Nova Scotia, 1755-1867." Collections of the Nova Scotia Historical Society. 19 (1918): 53-73. Available in the NSARM Library.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres