The Council of Twelve, which served as an advisory board to the Governor, was constituted by Royal Instructions and met for the first time at Annapolis Royal in April 1720. From 1720 to 1758 the Council exercised legislative as well as executive power. From 1758 to 1837 the Council served as the upper chamber of Nova Scotia's unicameral legislature, when the House of Assembly was in session. In 1830 judges were excluded from the Council and it was afterwards enlarged from twelve to fifteen members. In 1838 the Council became two separate and independent bodies -- the Executive Council and the Legislative Council.