The Department of Highways was established in 1918 to assume responsibility for highways and bridges, other than construction and maintenance, and to act as liaison between the arm's-length Provincial Highway Board and the Cabinet. In 1926 the board was abolished and the department assumed full responsibility for building and maintaining highways and roads, as well as for supervising, managing and controlling their traffic and general use. From 1926 to 1941 the department was also responsible for tourism. In 1939 the Department of Public Works and Mines was broken up and responsibility for public buildings and government property and equipment transferred to the Department of Highways, which was renamed Department of Highways and Public Works. In 1955 the department relinquished responsibility for public works and resumed the name Department of Highways.