Fonds RG 16 - Nova Scotia Department of Highways and Public Works

Original Digitized Content not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nova Scotia Department of Highways and Public Works

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    RG 16

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1908-1958 (Creation)
      Creator
      Nova Scotia Department of Highways and Public Works

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    9.45 m of textual records and other material
    3 albums (294 photographs and 38 technical drawings)
    12706 photographs

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1939-1955)

    Administrative history

    The Department of Highways was established in 1918 to assume responsibility for highways and bridges, other than construction and maintenance, and to act as liaison between the arm's-length Provincial Highway Board and the Cabinet. In 1926 the board was abolished and the department assumed full responsibility for building and maintaining highways and roads, as well as for supervising, managing and controlling their traffic and general use. From 1926 to 1941 the department was also responsible for tourism. In 1939 the Department of Public Works and Mines was broken up and responsibility for public buildings and government property and equipment transferred to the Department of Highways, which was renamed Department of Highways and Public Works. In 1955 the department relinquished responsibility for public works and resumed the name Department of Highways.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Consists of nine series.

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Series level descriptions available above.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Digitized Content (External URI) rights area

        Digitized Content (Reference) rights area

        Digitized Content (Thumbnail) rights area

        Accession area