The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) was founded in 1919. The organization is a voluntary, non-profit, self-funded non-governmental organization of close to 10,000 women graduates and students in 118 clubs (branches)in every province of Canada as of 2009. The Halifax Club traces its history back to 5 May 1936, when the first organizational meeting was held. The first general meeting took place on 23 October 1936 and affiliation with the national body was completed in 1937. Members are active in public affairs, work together for equality for women and girls, to raise the social, economic, political and legal status of women, as well as to improve education, the environment, peace, justice and human rights. The CFUW is the largest of the 79 member affiliates of the International Federation of University Women (IFUW).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of annual reports, governance documents, financial information, newsletters, notices, agendas, membership lists, and promotional materials. The contents of the fonds document the role that the Halifax Club of the Canadian Federation of University Women plays in the local community and the activities it conducts and supports in its efforts to fulfill its mandate.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by the Canadian Federation of University Women - Halifax Club in various accruals.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication