Title and statement of responsibility area
Acadia Gas Engines Limited fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Acadia Gas Engines
Physical description area
3 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Founded in 1908 by W.T. Ritcey, Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited of Bridgewater, N.S., was Canada's largest manufacturer of marine engines. Originally incorporated under the Nova Scotia Companies Act in 1908 as Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited, the firm was reorganized in May 1917 and its name changed to Acadia Gas Engines Limited. The company opened a branch office and warehouse in St. John's, Nfld. in 1915. In its early years, the company's principal business was the manufacture of internal combustion engines for the use of fishermen in Atlantic Canada, as well as the production of winches for the hoisting of sails, cargo, and anchors on schooners. The firm went on to manufacture a variety of two-cycle and four-cycle engines and accessories for vessels, such as driving gears, heaving outfits, pumping outfits, and mill friction drives. By 1919 it had set up and incorporated a branch company, Acadia Stationary Engines Limited, to manufacture general purpose stationary engines. The firm later became marketers of British Leyland diesel engines and acted as selling agents for Chevrolet and Smith-Form trucks. Its other branch company, the Acadia Motor Car and Truck Company, was formed ca. 1920. In June 1966, Acadia Gas Engines was acquired by the Grimsby Group of Canada, Halifax, N.S., of the parent company Great Grimsby Coal, Salt and Tanning Co. Ltd., based in the United Kingdom.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records created and accumulated by Acadia Gas Engines of Bridgewater, N.S. and its associated companies, Acadia Stationary Engines Limited and Acadia Motor Car and Truck Company. Includes minutes of directors and shareholders meetings, 1908-1921; business correspondence, 1920-1952; appraisal reports on machinery and equipment, 1922-1927; original and microfilmed scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, memoranda, notices, advertisements, photographs, and ephemera, 1922-1966; sales reports; financial statements, 1909-1947; patent documents; company catalogues, product literature and price lists; 1920-1951; and other related material. Fonds also contains technical drawings (working drawings and blueprints), 1928-1971, illustrating various marine engine models, parts for vessels including hydraulic pumps, hoists, and gears, Chevrolet automobile engines, and a file of architectural building plans. Includes drawings by Hercules Motor Corporation, Leyland Motor Company, Canadian Department of Defense, and others. Photographs contained in the fonds, ca. 1912-1962, include views of various engine models and parts, interior and exterior views of the Bridgewater building and facilities, exhibition displays including the Nova Scotia Fisheries Exhibition, a small number of images of W.T. Ritcey and other officers, the Ritcey residence, and advertising slides mostly of the Acadia logo.
Immediate source of acquisition
Scrapbooks loaned for microfilming by the firm in 1975 and donated with additional records in 1982. Material also donated by G.K. Feindel, curator of the DesBrisay Museum, Bridgewater, N.S. in 1979.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list available for textual records.
Printing plates were donated with the fonds and subsequently transferred to the Nova Scotia Museum and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
Material given Accession number 1979-171.
Includes ca. 400 technical drawings and architectural drawings, 708 photographs (375 prints, 290 negatives, 43 glass slides), and 3 photograph albums.